The student life is getting complex day by day. Guidance is needed to help the students for optimum achievement and adequate adjustment in the varied life situations. Need analysis of the students in the schools shows the need of Guidance and counseling services, in the education, profession, vocation, social, health, moral, personal, and marital areas.
Guidance and counseling program needs to be introduced in our schools, colleges and universities to meet the varied needs of the educational system, administration, and students.
1) To help in the total development of the student. Guidance and counseling helps the students to have a better self-understanding and proper adjustment to self and society. Developing of proper motivation and clarification of goals and ideas to pupils in conformity with their basic potentialities and social tendencies are important.
2) To help in the proper choices of courses
3) To help in the proper choice of careers
4) To help the students in vocational development
5) To develop readiness for choices and changes to face new challenges
6) To minimize the mismatching between education and employment and help in the efficient use of manpower.
7) To motivate the youth for self-employment.
8) To help freshers establish proper identity. Guidance and counseling service is needed to help students deal effectively with the formal developmental tasks of adolescence and face life situations boldly.
9) To identify and motivate the students from weaker sections of society.
10) To help the students in their period of turmoil and confusion
11) To help in checking wastage and stagnation
12) To identify and help students in need of special help, particularly special students that needs special attention.
13) To ensure the proper utilization of time spent outside the classrooms for achieving both academic competence and personal development of all types.
14) To help in tackling problems arising out of students population explosion.
15) To check migration to prevent brain drain
16) To make up for the deficiencies of home.
17) To minimize the incidence of indiscipline.
Majority of the students lack a sense of direction, a sense of purpose and a sense of fulfillment. And indulge in destructive activities, which lead to social damage and loss. Adequate guidance and counseling facilities is the only answer to help and guide the youth to worthwhile channels and help them realize the goals of optimum academic, personal and social development.
Problems and needs in society are nothing new, but today they seem to be proliferating at an unprecedented rate. The unique problems in the changing family, cities in upheaval, conflicts in values, attitudes, and moral, the new cynicism about politics, economic factors, the changing role of work, new pressure and demands on school, and problems of the youth, all points out the need for the counseling services Guidance and counselling have a challenging role to play in every developing economy, much more so if it is a labor surplus one.